Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Ruger LCR


Official Website
Caliber: .22LR, .38 Special, or .357 Magnum
Capacity: 5 (8 in the .22)
Length: 6.5"
Height: 4.5"
Weight: 13.5 - 17.1 oz, depending on model
Average Cost: $550-$600

The Ruger LCR is a double action revolver and comes in .22 LR, .38 Special, and .357 Magnum.  They also just recently became available with Crimson Trace Lasergrips.  For the purpose of this blog, I will be reviewing the .357 because it is what I am most likely to buy.  The .357 can shoot .357 rounds or .38 special rounds, making it a very versatile revolver.

One of the best things about the Ruger LCR is its trigger.  I have tried it out at the local gun shop and it is great!  I also like the way it fits in my hand.  The overall size of the Ruger LCR is a little larger than some of the small 9mms, but not by too much.  I have read a lot of men complaining about the recoil of a .357, which is a concern for me, but I was told the recoil is about half with .38 special loads and the ballistics of a .38 special are very similar to 9mm so that's probably what I would start with.

What brought me back to thinking about the LCR is the fact that, in addition to being a great concealed carry weapon, with .357 loads it would also make a great bear gun when fishing.  I have a .45 auto, which will work for bears, but the LCR would be much nicer to pack around all day.  The biggest concern I have with it, however, is the fact that it only holds 5 rounds.  Regardless of how many rounds you have to work with, though, you need to make your shots count.  It only takes one round to stop an attacker if placed correctly.  Also, they do make speed loaders like this one, which allow you to reload quickly when needed. 

The great thing about a revolver like this is reliability.  The gun is always going to go off - no stovepipes or failures to feed here.  That does offer some added peace of mind.  The LCR, like other revolvers, does not have any safety mechanisms (besides the long, double action trigger pull), so if this makes you uncomfortable you should get a semi automatic pistol with an external safety.  Just remember, a revolver like the LCR is as simple as it gets - just point and pull the trigger; no safety to flip off, no slide to mess with, just shoot it.

From what I've read in the forums, everyone who owns an LCR seems to love it.  It is definitely a contender for me!

1 comment:

  1. I think the things you covered through the post are quiet impressive, good job and great efforts. I found it very interesting and enjoyed reading all of it...keep it up, lovely job..
    concealed carry holsters

    ReplyDelete