Monday, March 5, 2012

Kahr PM9



Official Website
Caliber: 9mm
Capacity: 6+1 or 7+1 (with optional extended magazine)
Length: 5.42"
Width: 0.9"
Height: 4"
Weight: about 16 ounces
Average Cost: $600-$700

Most people seem to like the Kahr PM9.  With proper break-in it seems to be very reliable and comfortable to shoot.  It is very small and lightweight for a 9mm, making it easier to conceal and carry.  Also, it sounds like the recoil is manageable.

 The Kahr PM9 does not have any external safety mechanisms.  This is nice in that you don't have to think about switching your safety off in a stressful situation, however you will need to make sure the trigger is protected at all times when you are not shooting it to prevent accidental discharge.

I have read some complaints about Kahr's customer service, but some people have had positive experiences with their customer service as well.  Some people are concerned about the Kahr's polymer frame (as opposed to steel), but I have not read any real evidence to support their concern. Another concern is that the slide is kind of hard to pull back.  This is something to think about, especially for women.  I tried it in the store and it is a bit stiffer than I'm used to, but doable. 

I have held a PM9 and it feels great in my hands.  I also really like the size, although I wish it was a little more rounded like the Ruger LC9.  My main concerns with the Kahr are the high price tag and the fact that Kahr is essentially owned by the Unification Church. Call me crazy, but I'm not sure I want to financially support a cult.

No comments:

Post a Comment